A Clark man was Life-Flighted to Billings late Monday for treatment of an abdominal injury sustained during a gun cleaning accident.
Sheriff Scott Steward said Patrick Caines, 19, and a friend were cleaning handguns when a shot was accidentally fired at Caines.
“The sheriff’s office considers this to be an accidental shooting and foul play is not suspected,” Steward said, adding they are continuing the investigation.
About 8:40 p.m. Monday the sheriff’s office received a 911 call reporting that a young man had suffered an accidental gunshot wound to the abdomen.
The friend told police he had driven Caines to the Edelweiss parking lot on WYO 120 N. to wait for EMS and law enforcement.
Upon arrival, deputies learned the friend had been dry firing weapons after reassembly to ensure function.
“He hadn’t realized one of the handguns was loaded,” Steward said. “Subsequently, Caines suffered a gunshot wound to the lower abdomen from a .41 caliber magnum revolver.”
Caines was treated by EMS and taken to Powell Valley Healthcare before being transported via helicopter to Billings for continued treatment.